As a general rule, any foreign object that enters the body passes through the digestive tract and goes out of the body. If you just ingested styrofoam, how serious the situation depends on the amount of styrofoam you ate.
For starters, ingesting a small amount of styrofoam is not harmful to the body. It will simply pass through the digestive system, and you will be good as new. However, even if a small amount of styrofoam is not a threat to the body, you must never attempt to ingest styrofoam at all.
Styrofoam is composed of various toxic chemicals. It is a foam plastic made from styrene, a petroleum-based product. Once styrofoam is heated, it becomes lighter in weight and creates an expanding foam.
While ingesting a small amount of styrofoam is not typically considered, a problem may arise if you swallow a large amount of styrofoam.
Ingesting a large amount of styrofoam can potentially harm you. One possibility is that the styrofoam will not get digested and will just get stuck inside the body.
It may block your esophagus, your stomach, or your intestines, which can affect your digestion. If this is left untreated, it can further cause complications in your body.
If this is the case, seek medical assistance to have the styrofoam safely removed from the body. Immediately consult a medical professional for scenarios like this to lower the risk of further damaging your digestive tract.
Is styrofoam digestible?
Styrofoam is not digestible, which means that if ever you end up consuming a specific amount of it, it will just pass through or get stuck in the body. Despite passing through the digestive tract, styrofoam is not broken down and digested to be absorbed by the body. It can both be a good and a bad thing.
Let’s say the body can digest styrofoam. Ingesting a large amount of styrofoam would not be the best scenario as styrofoam contains toxic chemicals. So, in a way, it is a good thing that styrofoam is not digestible.
However, it is also unfortunate that styrofoam is not digestible, especially if you have ingested it. Often, this ends up getting stuck inside the body and blocking the esophagus, the stomach, or the intestines.
Can you eat food microwaved in styrofoam?
Eating food microwaved in styrofoam is not a great idea. It can cause potential harm to your health as melted styrofoam releases several hazardous chemicals that can affect the body.
Even if not microwaved, consuming your hot foods or drinks in styrofoam cups or containers, you also consume small amounts of chemicals in styrofoam.
While most styrofoam companies may claim that the product is safe for both humans and the environment, several studies have shown that styrofoam can cause cancer and threatens marine life.
However, as of the moment, government policies are still yet to finally determine whether styrofoam is safe for humans and the environment or not.
Styrofoam may be the most commonly used product by businesses for food packaging, and this reason alone increases the risk of ingesting a certain amount of this petroleum-based product.
While accidentally eating this product is not considered harmful in small amounts, you must still be cautious about this substance. As much as possible, avoid consuming hot food or drinks in styrofoam cups.
By doing this preventive measure, you keep toxic chemicals outside your body.
Sylvia Silverstone is a passionate writer who loves to share her knowledge and expertise on a wide range of topics, including beauty, life hacks, entertainment, health, news, and money. With a keen eye for detail and a talent for storytelling, Sylvia's engaging writing style keeps readers coming back for more.