From weight-loss diets to intense workouts, exercise machines, and fat-burning products, there are so many fat-busting options on the market today. And while it takes so much time and effort to lose some extra pounds, it seems all too easy to gain them back.
Shedding off excess weight and maintaining a well-toned body may be highly challenging, but it’s not at all impossible. If you’re planning to become leaner and healthier in the coming months, check out these valuable tips to help you achieve your fitness goals.
Identify your weight loss needs and objectives
As with other activities that require your full attention and commitment, embarking on a weight loss regimen requires you to identify the reasons for getting rid of fats and staying healthy.
Most weight loss enthusiasts suffer from health issues, like obesity, while some are driven by the desire to look and feel better, motivating them to take on a healthier lifestyle.
Related: Jill Scott Weight Loss
Before starting your journey, it’s crucial to seek professional help in identifying your needs, challenges, and goals. Individuals who have special needs may require other forms of intervention.
Obese people or those with a body mass index (BMI) of over 35, for instance, may be advised to undergo gastric bypass surgery. For others who want to get rid of stubborn belly bulges and double chin, fat dissolving injections may help. (1)
Choose the right weight loss program
Losing weight requires long-term dedication, so your program should be something that’s suited to your needs, lifestyle, and environment. Since individuals respond differently to various weight loss programs, it’s equally important to talk to a nutritionist-dietician to discuss your plans.
Ideally, you should consider the programs you’ve tried, the diets that didn’t work, your overall lifestyle, budget, health, as well as physical challenges when choosing the ideal fat-busting program for you. (2)
Set clear and realistic goals
Experts recommend setting realistic goals that consider both the process and outcome objectives. For instance, targeting a one-hour workout determines the process, while losing two pounds a week identifies the outcome. Doing this helps you plan out your activities so you can achieve your fitness objectives. It’ll also allow you to switch to a more active lifestyle in a cinch. (3)
A realistic weight loss target for most people is two pounds (or almost one kilogram) a week.
To achieve this, one has to burn 1,000 calories more than their total consumption. You may download a calorie calculator to help you identify how many calories you need to consume and burn based on important considerations like weight, height, gender, and activity levels. (3)
Get rid of the stumbling blocks
Genetics, sedentary lifestyle, too much stress, and overeating are only a few of the main factors why people gain too much weight. Of these aspects, inactivity and overeating are two of the most common causes, owing to the fast-paced lifestyle and flexible working arrangements. (1)
Identifying and getting rid of the aspects that encourage unhealthy eating habits and lack of physical activity, such as stress, too much work, and lack of support, can help you find success in achieving your fitness goals.
For instance, instead of grabbing fast food, consider the best diet plans as the basis for preparing home-cooked meals. If you find that you overeat when you’re stressed at work, stock up on healthy snacks, like nuts, fruits, and veggies, to nibble on instead of chocolates and processed food. (3)
Be willing to change your lifestyle
Once you’ve identified the ideal weight reduction program and the factors that may inhibit your progress, it’s time to commit to a healthier lifestyle by changing your eating habits and routine.
Here are some tips you can consider from the get-go:
- Stick to a healthy diet: In general, your goal should be to reduce calorie intake while boosting protein consumption. A high protein diet can increase metabolism and help control food cravings. Replace carbohydrates with fiber-rich foods, such as vegetables and fruits. Avoid processed foods, excess sugar, fat consumption, too, as it can promote overeating to some people. (3)(4)
- Keep hydrated: Drinking enough water is vital for several physiological processes including temperature regulation, waste removal, and digestion. Consuming half a liter of water could help your body burn calories by as much as 30% an hour after taking it. Hydrating before and after taking a meal also helps prevent overeating as it makes you feel full and facilitates proper digestion, respectively. (4)
Related: Fat burning smoothies
- Get high-quality sleep: Sleep deprivation can also play a role in weight loss, as inadequate rest can disrupt the body’s appetite management process. Studies indicate that individuals who don’t get enough sleep are 55% more likely to become obese. This holds especially true for children. (4)(6)
- Take on an exercise routine that you enjoy: Apart from numerous health benefits, daily physical activities help burn extra calories, making them essential components in any weight loss program. Choose an exercise routine that you enjoy doing so you don’t lose motivation and can commit to doing it regularly.
You don’t necessarily have to go to the gym to stay active. You can perform waist slimming exercises and other activities that you can do at home. Hiking, running, brisk walking, cycling, and swimming can help promote cardiovascular health while keeping extra fats away.
Ways to keep the weight off
After getting rid of excess weight, the next and perhaps more significant challenge is to maintain your ideal physique.
Achieve long-term success by taking heed of these valuable tips:
- Continuously monitor your progress: To stay motivated, continue recording your weight and food intake. Don’t be discouraged if you’ve noticed a slight uptick on the scale. Identify the reasons for weight gain to address them. (5)
- Commit to a healthier lifestyle: Sticking to your diet plan even after achieving your weight loss goal is crucial in keeping excess pounds at bay. This means cutting carbs, fats, and sugar consumption for life. (1)(5)
Related: Foods that burn calories
- Stay active: Apart from eating healthily, staying active is crucial in maintaining weight. About 80 minutes of moderate and 35 minutes of strenuous exercises daily is required to remain in tiptop shape. (1)
- Manage stress properly: Individuals who are prone to emotional and stress eating should use methods to identify and manage the triggers properly. Deep breathing, exercising, cognitive behavioral therapy, as well as peer support are effective at regulating stress. (7)
- Have steady social support: Family and friends play a huge role in keeping a person healthy. Receiving support from the people you trust can help relieve stress and strengthen your resolve, helping you achieve your long-term weight goals. Besides, sweating it out with your gym buddy just makes everything better.
- Make it fun: Doing the same things can often feel restrictive and boring. If you suffer from diet fatigue, switch things up a bit. Try other healthy diets or engage in other fun activities such as rock climbing or weight training. (5)
Losing weight entails radical changes to long-held habits, making it highly challenging for most people. If you’re planning to shed off excess pounds, it’s imperative to choose the right program that you can commit to for the long term.
Besides, modifying your eating norms and staying active, getting rid of triggers that hold you back, and receiving support from family and friends are the most critical factors in successfully shedding and keeping excess weight off.
- “Weight-Loss and Maintenance Strategies”, Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK221839/
- “Weight loss: Choosing a diet that’s right for you”, Source: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss/art-20048466
- “Weight loss: 6 strategies for success”, Source: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss/art-20047752
- “29 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Naturally (Backes by Science)”, Source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/30-ways-to-lose-weight-naturally
- “Keep weight off”, Source: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/managing-your-weight/keep-weight-off/
- “Meta-analysis of short sleep duration and obesity in children and adults”, Source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18517032/
- “Personalized cognitive-behavioural therapy for obesity (CBT-OB): theory, strategies, and procedures”, Source: https://bpsmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13030-020-00177-9