Because of massive consumption, there is a supply shortage of protective face masks all around the world. There is just not enough for everyone. That's why I would like to show an easy way to make your own face mask at home.
It requires no sewing, yet durable enough to withstand daily wear. Unlike most homemade no-sew face masks, this one won't let you down when you need it the most. You can wear it for longer periods of time and won't come apart by accident.
Making this no-sew face mask is a simple procedure that will only take approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Step by Step Video Tutorial
- How To Make a Homemade Durable No-Sew Face Mask
- How to use my homemade face mask the right way?
- Can I wash and reuse my homemade face mask?
- How Can a Homemade Face Mask Filter Viruses?
- Face masks prevent you from touching your face.
- Face masks help to keep the social distance
- Don't be ashamed to wear a face mask!
- Stay Safe!
- Pin this to save for later
Step by Step Video Tutorial
Listed below are all the things you need to make a cute face mask like this:
- A pillowcase (as in the video), an old t-shirt, or waterproof canvas fabric material
- Scissors - medium ones will do just fine
- Glue gun
- Binder clips or pegs
- Ruler, Marker
How To Make a Homemade Durable No-Sew Face Mask
There are six simple steps you need to follow, as shown in the video above.
- Step 1 - Cut a rectangular piece from the piece of fabric you've chosen. I chose a pillowcase for mine. The rectangular piece needs to be 9 inches long and 6 inches wide. Afterward, from the elastic of your choosing, measure and cut two pieces - each of them should be 7 inches long. They should be long enough to wrap around your ears.
- Step 2 - The next thing you need to do is divide the rectangular piece of fabric in half. Divide the piece of fabric in half from the side that's 9 inches long. As a result, the top and bottom sides of the fabric will be 6 inches long. On the top half of the fabric, apply small drops of glue on all four corners. Afterward, glue the ends of the elastic you've cut on opposite sides, the left and the right one. Hold on for a few seconds until the glue is dry to make sure the elastic stuck to the fabric.
- Step 3 - What you need to do next is to apply glue along the edges of the top half of the fabric. When applying the glue, make sure you leave a little part of the topside without putting glue on it. Then take the bottom half of the fabric and place it above the top one. Hold on for a few seconds in order for the glue to dry and for the two halves to stick to each other.
- Step 4 - The next step is about that little part on the top we left out. That part has no glue on it, so use it as a hole to pull the whole fabric through it. This will result in turning the fabric inside out so it now hides the corners you have glued from the inside.
- Step 5 - Straighten your mask and start making little folds on the sides, the ones with elastic on them. Take a small amount of fabric, put a drop of glue on it and fold it over. Then take one clip and clip the fold of fabric you have glued, in order for it to hold tighter and glue itself faster. Make three folds, put a drop of glue on each and hold each one of them tight with a clip. Repeat the same procedure on the other side of the fabric. Hold on for a few minutes for the glue to dry. Finally, your homemade face mask is ready to use.
- Step 6 - Congrats, you just need to do one more thing before your beautiful face mask is ready to use. The last step is adjusting it to fit better on your face and not let any air come through.
I hope you will make good use of it!
Please note that homemade face masks are not as effective as the N95 surgical mask recommended by the CDC. Their statement about homemade fabric face masks can be found here: Link
How to use my homemade face mask the right way?
Before you put on the mask, you need to wash your hands with soap and water or a strong, alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
When putting the mask on, make sure it covers both your mouth and nose with it. Also, make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
While being outside, don't touch the mask with dirty hands because it's like the same thing as if you weren't wearing one. Do not take it off until you get home. Remove the mask from your face only with clean hands.
Can I wash and reuse my homemade face mask?
Yes, if treated correctly. Wash it with mild chlorine or any other disinfectant. Soak in water and whatever disinfectant you choose for ten minutes and then rinse and fully dry them afterward. For better results, when they are dry, iron them for further disinfection.
How Can a Homemade Face Mask Filter Viruses?
As you might know, the simplest masks can allow virus-sized particles to pass through them. While it's true in theory, in reality, we can rarely find virus molecules circulating individually in the air.
In most cases, they spread by sticking to dust particles or by escaping to the air through a cough as a small drop of water. Therefore, homemade face masks and scarves can filter viruses with acceptable efficiency.
Perhaps not all protective masks are efficient, but if everybody wears at least a simple face mask from homemade fabric, we will reduce the risk of further spreading the infection.
Face masks prevent you from touching your face.
A person touches its face every five or ten seconds, scratching its nose and eyes without even noticing. Children present an even bigger problem by not being aware of constantly touching their faces.
A doctor admitted it was tough for him to avoid touching his face while he was spending an entire day with patients at work.
The mask prevents us from accidentally touching our face, so the virus can't end up on our face and later in our bloodstream. Therefore, even the simplest, homemade face masks can suffice and protect you to an extent.
Anyone who wears a mask will be much more careful when going outside. They won't interact with people at close distances and will not start lengthy conversations on the street. The person will feel, and others will see the need to be careful.
Don't be ashamed to wear a face mask!
There are young people out there who are ashamed to wear a face mask, which should not be the case. In times like these, where our futures are at stake, there is nothing shameful or disrespectful in wearing a mask. It's for our own good and well-being.
There are a lot of misconceptions and misinterpretations spread in the media worldwide! Being informed is crucial, and of great importance at points like these. There is no room for panic, so staying alert is the best thing you could do.
At times like this, when a pandemic disease affects the entire world, it is hard for everyone to remain calm and not panic. People must follow proper instructions and gather valuable pieces of information like this. Besides that, everyone needs to take serious care of their own health and the health of the ones closest to them.
Staying healthy is what matters the most to you and the entire society. Everybody should keep the social distance, go out only when necessary, and avoid coming in close contact with people. Always wear a protective face mask, wash your hands, and everything else before using it. Those few, little percussions we could all take, will mean a lot to the entire world. We can overcome this if we fight together!
Wear the mask to protect yourself and the ones around you. It is truly a small price to pay for your health. But remember, wearing a homemade or surgical mask does not provide you with total protection.
Now that you can make face masks at home, why not make one for your loved ones too?