People often find themselves bored and unsure what to do, and they spend so much time trying to decide what to do that they end up running out of time to do something anyway! Well, no more. Use this list of things to do when bored as a guide to get you off the couch and feel good.
All of the activities on this list are not only fun, but they will benefit you mentally, emotionally, or physically as well. Put an end to your boredom while also doing something good for yourself. Next time you don't know what to do, don't get stuck scrolling on social media. Try one of these activities instead.
While some of these boredom busters are geared towards adults, most are great for families and kids! So if your bored kids are looking for something to do, you can share this list with them.
The Ultimate List of Things To Do When Bored
Practice Self Care
Sometimes, practicing self-care can feel like a task, but it doesn't have to be! It can be as easy as you want it to be. Even if you are busy with very little time to kill, there are plenty of self-care ideas you can use to fill your downtime.
- Take a bath.
- Do waist training exercises
- Get a massage.
- Start a journal, kids can benefit from a gratitude journal as well.
- Do yoga.
- Manifest money
- Order some takeout.
- Watch a movie or show.
- Go to a spa.
- Take a nap.
- Take yourself out to dinner at a nice restaurant.
Clean Or Organize
Not many people enjoy cleaning, but we all have to do it. So why not do it when you are looking for something to pass the time anyway? Even if you only have a small amount of time to spare, you can do something small. Use this spare time to get some chores done around the house. If you have children, check out this guide chores for kids.
- Do a 5-minute speed clean.
- Declutter a closet or drawer.
- Deep clean one area.
- Do some yard work or clean up.
- Dust spots you usually never get to.
- Clean out your fridge.
- Clean the garage.
- Color code the clothes in your closet.
- Re-arrange your bedroom or your living room.
- Clean out your car.
- Get your mind organized - write out your to-do lists and your goals.
- Clean out your email.
Get your creative juices flowing! Even if you aren't a crafty person, there are many ways to spark your creativity. Get on Pinterest and find some ideas of things you want to create and make a board full of them, so you always have a list to choose from.
- Do a craft.
- Learn how to make better Paint by numbers
- Build something cool.
- Refinish a piece of furniture.
- Try some DIY home decor.
- Find an adult coloring book.
- Make a time capsule.
- Find a local class, such as a wine and paint class, cake decorating class, etc.
- Make a vision board. (You can even do this on the computer if you want!)
Learn Something New
Everyone has a list of things they want to learn in their life, but it will never happen if you don't make time to try new things.
Now is the time to start learning something new. Pick something you want to learn, and every time you're experiencing some boredom, or if you have some free time, work on it! It's up to you to make time to learn new skills.
- Learn another language.
- Write a love letter
- Try out a new skill.
- Read a book.
- Find a new hobby.
- Learn to play an instrument.
- Learn how to cook or bake.
- Learn how to flirt over text
Getting outside is so good for you. And even if you just sit outside and do nothing, it will be good for your mental health and your physical health. A good beginner goal to set is to spend a minimum of 15 minutes outside every day. Your body needs vitamin D! If your kids are looking for a way to beat boredom, have them work through these summer activities for kids.
- Have a meal outside.
- Go for a walk.
- Learn axe throwing
- Go for a drive & explore.
- Join a local sports team.
- Lay out on the grass and take a nap.
- Set up a hammock and kick back.
- Start a garden.
- Take a day trip to a neighboring state or a fun city within a few hours.
- Go window shopping.
Do Something On Your To-Do List
Everyone has a never-ending to-do list, sometimes it's just in your mind, but it's there! You might as well use your free time to cross some things off the list if you find yourself bored at home. Here are a few tasks that tend to be on people's to-do lists that get pushed to the back burner;
- Get rid of some junk - take a trip to the dump or your local thrift store.
- Make phone calls - pay the bills, cancel subscriptions, etc.
- Run errands.
- Re-work your budget. (Or create one if you haven't.)
Do Something Nice for Someone
Doing something for someone else helps them, but it also makes you feel good! Serving others is a great way to spend your free time when you're feeling bored. The more you serve others, the better you will start to feel. It's pretty amazing! And kindness is contagious, so you will be helping even more than you think.
- Volunteer - places like senior living centers, animal shelters, sanctuaries, etc., would love to have some help!
- Donate some things.
- Visit a friend.
- Find a pen pal and write to them. It can be a lot of fun to get a glimpse of someone else's life.
- Have some one-on-one time with your kids, spouse, pet, etc.
- Call a friend or family member you haven't talked to for a while and catch up.
Do Something That Needs To Be Done Anyway But Always Get Pushed Off
You likely have a list of things that you want to do but never get around to doing because there are always other things that need to get done first. Take this extra time you've found to do those things! Even if they're not high up on your list of priorities, finding some productive things to do will feel good.
- Meal prep for the week. (Or try making some freezer meals and be prepped for the month!)
- Get the new octopus haircut
- Finish a project you started but never finished.
- Start Christmas shopping.
- Make some new playlists for music, podcasts, etc.
- Find a local class for something you're interested in - exercise, dance, photography, etc.
- Start a side hustle - there are TONS of side hustles out there now; find one involving something you are passionate about.
In Summary: Things To Do When Bored
Hopefully, this list has given you some ideas on what you can do when you get bored! If you or your family find yourselves with nothing to do, don’t get stuck scrolling on your phone or binge-watching tv. Go through this list and spend the time doing something good for you, whether physically or mentally. Taking care of yourself and being productive are the best ways to kill time when you aren't sure what to do. Enjoy your free time!
This article originally appeared on Hello Sensible by Kayla.
Sylvia Silverstone is a passionate writer who loves to share her knowledge and expertise on a wide range of topics, including beauty, life hacks, entertainment, health, news, and money. With a keen eye for detail and a talent for storytelling, Sylvia's engaging writing style keeps readers coming back for more.