Hey, she's just sent me a wink! Does she like me, or she's being flirtatious? I don't know how to flirt over text.
The art of flirting has had many shapes and forms. It has evolved from face-to-face conversations, writing love letters, and sending pigeon posts to dating digitally.
In Dr. Graff's opinion, guys like face-to-face flirting purely for sexual reasons (somehow, I did see that coming), while women do it just for kicks.
But how to flirt over text? Are there any tips, how-to manuals, instructions, and tools that could help us master the skill of it? Are there mental exercises, mental tricks, or games that we can use to our advantage to help us become better flirts?
In this article, you will learn 7 things you need to know if you've ever wondered how to flirt over text. I also bring you 60 flirty text examples. This is a guide for men and women, so have fun trying out your favorite flirting strategies and watch the sparks fly.
Related: Flirty Questions To Ask A Guy
How To Flirt Over Text: 7 Most Important Techniques
Text flirting can be exciting and far from mundane.
We enjoy the adrenaline rush; there's tension, heat, sweating, uncertainty, and the thrill of risk in flirting through texts.
We thrive on the unknown and like things spicy.
Related: How to turn a guy on over text
Yet, there's a lot of pressure to come across as sexy and confident while leaving plenty of context for unknowns to work out.
But fear not! You will find here helpful techniques that are the most effective flirting methods among both sexes.
And, yes. Not everyone is Sir Wyatt or Madam Browning to come up with a sonnet to impress the other half.
That's why I bring you flirty texts that you can use to sweep your crush off their feet.
Why not try…
1. Bait The Hook
What better way to bait the hook than send a sassy text message? Especially if you've only just been introduced. In this way, you'll communicate your interest in them.
Make sure the conversation is consistent and flattering. You might ask about their favorite flower or what their day is like by adding some "stirring" words.
Saying "how's your day" won't get you far.
Make it "mine gets better the second I get a text from you.” Or "I hope your day is as beautiful as you are.”
This will give them something to think about.
All you need to get your flirt on is a text that's coy, confident, and intense enough to spark the fire of desire.
You always make my day.
I’ve been really enjoying our talks, and I am eager to learn more about you.
What’s your favorite snack? I could get it for you.
You're the first person I think of when I wake up and the last when I go to sleep. I just wanted to make sure you knew how I felt.
Related: I want to text him so bad
2. Keep It Simple
Much as you wouldn't want a text marathon, don't make them run yours either.
Keep your messages short and sweet so that the person you're flirting with feels motivated to respond to them as quickly as possible.
Remember: Just the right amount of text is all you need to keep them hooked on you.
I just wanted to see how you are.
Are you in for a movie tonight 🎬?
3. Don't Be Overbearing
Here comes the text marathon once again.
Sending them messages every three minutes is easy. But it's less likely to get a reply. So, send a few witty messages and then wait for their response. As soon as they reply, you can start the next round of conversation.
This is where your inner radar comes into action. You need to sense the right time to start a new series of messages. The best way to do it is to pay attention to the tone of their messages.
Going-though-the-motions texts won't contain any clues or questions to keep the conversation going, suggesting they're disinterested.
Related: How to flirt with a guy
4. Make Them Laugh
One of the most important things to mention when flirting electronically is having a sense of humor. Whether it's witty or corny, flirt over text in a way that balances the tone between the two of you.
Laugh, flirt, and jump in with a zing! You might even create a pun in the middle of your message to make it much more awesome. It will make your partner's jaw drop as well.
Crack a joke that will have them chuckling and begging to know where you came up with the witty banter. Perhaps you should make them laugh and then ask their opinion on the matter.
Creating a relaxed, casual atmosphere while texting should be a no-brainer
Everyone around me thinks I'm an idiot since I smile all the time thinking about you.
I'm so addicted to you that I'll need to call FDA to make you illegal.
You’re beautiful, funny, and intelligent. OK, where’s the catch?
I’m drowning in paperwork. Can you save me?
I fell for you hook, line, and sinker, and I even never went fishing.
If you feel like you've bumped into a wall, those are my hugs and kisses.
5. Leave Something To The Imagination
Forget about being an open book, at least not a totally open one. The best way to flirt over text is to be a mystery: keep your messages short, to the point, and out of the blue.
Don't distract the other person with too much humor or go into too much detail in your messages. But don't get too serious or too mysterious either. Keep the content light and playful so the person knows you're paying attention to her.
Leaving breadcrumbs will have them contemplating and pondering about what's going on.
Yet, try not to make them frustrated for not being able to pick up your clues to solve the mystery.
Wanna do something fun?
Wanna do something adventurous?
Do you have some plans after work? I do, and I think you're gonna like them.
6. Give Compliments
You can't go wrong with compliments if you do it in a way that leaves your romantic interest craving more.
They might find you overly pushy if you compliment them too quickly. Instead, try to give compliments bit by bit, then a little more often, just to keep them in suspense. It may be cheesy but effective.
I like the way you do your hair 🦱.
I like your smile.
You looked cute last night.
I've never met such an amazing person.
I like your sense of humor.
You bring out the best in me.
You are pretty in every way possible.
7. Use Emojis
Using emojis in your texts is a way to keep conversation light and fun. But remember not to over-indulge in them. Using them every time you text will make the conversation too light and casual.
Sending one or two every now and then creates a sense of spice and interest that can keep someone on the hook.
You make my world 🌎.
This song makes me think of you 🎶.
I love you to the moon and back 🌙.
Will you keep on running through my mind the entire week 🏃?
Your favorite candy is waiting for you at home 🍫.
I dreamt about you last night, and I was so sorry when I woke up 😫.
60 Excellent Examples of How to Flirt by Text
- I think you're made of sugar cane. No way a human being can be so irresistible.
- Let’s do something fun that can talk about when we get old.
- I can't believe I've spent so many years without you.
- If you didn’t get it already, I like you.
- Can you squeeze me in for lunch today?
- I wish you were here with me now.
- How do you manage always to look so damn good?
- Before my battery is totally dead, I just want you to know that I’m thinking about you.
- I can't sleep. It's not insomnia. It's you.
- I thank God every day for us crossing paths.
- Every time I close my eyes, I see you.
- Oh, baby, I really missed you, and I can’t wait to hold you again.
- Be my Valentine? I can’t resist you.
- I am a lucky woman to have a boyfriend and a best friend in one person.
- Not a minute goes by without me thinking of you.
- I want us to grow old together.
- My dog has just told me he'd like to see you, and I couldn't agree more.
- Can you give me my eyes back? I couldn't take them off you last night, and today I need them.
- I imagine kissing you, and I want that to be real.
- Please have mercy on my soul. It misses you!
- I was thinking about you last night. I had to call firefighters because you were so hot.
- It might sound cheesy, but I like you.
- If so many men are waiting in line for you, can I be the first one?
- I'm sorry to wake you up. I would just like my heart back.
- I'll be frank. I don't have anything interesting to say, but I wanted to see how you're doing.
- How about meeting in person?
- Let's watch a game together.
- If you were an app, I'd click on "next, next, I agree" without thinking.
- Would you like to come over?
- I think I'm gonna get fired because I can't get anything done. The only thing I do is think about you.
- Has anyone told you that you have amazing eyes?
- I like your hair, eyes, lips, arms, and hands... Now when I think about it, I love everything about you.
- I'm in a hospital because they've found you in my heart.
- I can't wait to feel you in my arms again.
- You make me feel safe.
- If you were a candy, I would unwrap you in a moment.
- I think Heaven must be missing an angel.
- I love my mind because you’re in it.
- Hi, it’s me, your favorite.
- Wanna recreate 50 Shades of Gray?
- I'd like you to be the mother of my children.
- I'm sorry I can't kiss you right now.
- I miss you, and I love you.
- If you knew what I was thinking about, I'd be in big trouble.
- Sometimes I wonder how I could’ve lived so long without you.
- No one makes me feel happy like you do.
- When are you in my neighborhood?
- I'm thinking of you and replaying our time together.
- Every second I'm not with you is torture.
- Can I take you out on a date?
- I'm alone, and I could use some company. Not any company. YOUR company.
- Let's have a secret drink together.
- I can't wait to see you.
- I'm making a cake, would you like to help me?
- Something about you is insanely sexy.
- I've been looking for you forever, and I've finally found you.
- How much do you charge for a kiss?
- Here's something new: I need you.
- Is there a chance for us to be together?
- You look so hot. If I were ice cream, I'd melt.
Related: Flirty good morning texts for him
Flirting over text includes a constellation of interactions that must be pulled off correctly to maintain a happy balance between fun and seriousness.
Depending on the person you are talking to, you can use a variety of tactics to entice your crush before you make your move. I have listed the most effective ways how to flirt over text.
If you're not sure how to attract someone, it's important to keep the interactions simple. Making it personal and simple enough will normally mean that the person you're talking to will begin to open up.
If you want to make someone laugh, keep it light-hearted and humorous. Adding a smiley face or a pun in an otherwise stern text message is an easy way to make someone laugh and feel comfortable.
Having your flirting skills on the point will ultimately make or break your chances of impressing the people you like. I hope you’ll use some of our tips.
- When a guy texts you everyday what does that mean
- How to respond to unwanted flirty texts
- How to tell if someone is bored texting you
Nicole Graham is a relationship expert at Womenio.com. She is helping women grow into their best selves so they can be confident and bring more love, passion, and purpose to their lives. Nicole enjoys studying the psychology of love and is passionate about writing on them. She offers helpful tips and advice to help overcome any relationship issue, whether you’re single or already in a relationship.